Saturday, March 17, 2012

Easy Fig Jam


So we have an abundance of figs on the two trees that are in our backyard. I am not much of a fig eater and neither are the others in this house so they usually end up as jam. Usually I do Fig & Plum Jam but maybe it was all the rain or something over summer because the figs are only ripening now whilst the plums are all over red rover.

I made my first batch of Fig Jam (and my first attempt at fig ONLY jam) two weeks ago. I ran out and picked a bowl full during a break in all the rain. They looked so pretty with all the little droplets on them I couldn't resist taking a little pic.

So anyway, who wants the recipe? Well lucky for you it's one I googled and isn't top secret Nana business or anything. Tis from taste.com.au - my usual one stop reference shop for recipes.





EASY FIG JAM



Makes about 2 cups
INGREDIENTS
1 kg ripe figs, trimmed, roughly chopped
500g caster sugar
1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
1 cinnamon quill
Pared rind and juice of 1 lemon
METHOD
Place ingredients in a bowl, cover and stand overnight at room temperature. Transfer to a pan over low heat and stir to dissolve sugar. Bring to the boil, then cook over very low heat, stirring regularly, for 45 minutes or until thick and sticky. Mash figs gently with a fork or masher to break up a little. Remove vanilla pod, quill and rind, then cool slightly, and seal in sterilised jars. Store for up to 3 months.
TA DA!


Second batch is now chopped and in the bowl on the bench overnight for tomorrow's cooking session.




No comments:

Post a Comment