Friday, April 13, 2012

Cheap Shoes... but they're so PRETTY!



Right, so I like to think I'm a bit of a 'semi-greenie' and try to do what I can to keep my impact on the earth low. I try to grow my own vegies when I can (not overly successfully but I WILL get better!) I buy all those 'green' label cleaning products or use bi-carb and vinegar where possible. I like shopping at 2nd hand stores, markets and op-shops. I get a fruit and veg box delivered that supports local growers and cuts down on transportation costs.


I am also acutely aware that there are a boundless number of things that I am NOT doing. Like making my own bread, recycling grey water or making my own shampoo from eggs... Sometimes it's all just too HARD and my laziness wins over my conscience more often than not.


But probs my biggest failing as a 'semi-greenie' is that I'm a sucker for CHEAP CRAP. You know that stuff - mass produced in China or India from non-renewable resources, made by underpaid workers and shipped thousands of miles to my local Westfield?


See those super pretty shoes up there? ^^ I bought them yesterday from a certain run of the mill department store at my local mall because, firstly, they winked at me and secondly, they were only $24. I am wearing them today and I like them a lot. It's likely next time I go to said mall I will see at least 4 other suburban mums wearing them too. Until then I will continue thinking I am funky and unique.


But aside from feeling funky and unique I am also getting my usual post-purchase depression that I'm letting the old green team down.


I go through the pros in my head to try and appease my 'disappointed' conscience. "Now Roxanne, you know having pretty things increases your happiness and confidence" (as shallow as that sounds, I have to admit it's true) and "Your family is on a fairly limited budget so you should jump at bargains when you see them." 


I have failed to convince myself yet again. They're pretty weak arguments huh? But I'll keep wearing the shoes. Dammit I'll wear them! I'll wear them until the soles fall off and they no longer resemble the orange prettiness they once were. THAT will be my contribution to the environment. Sorry China, I am set for new shoes right now, you may as well pack up shop and go home.


But I do solemnly swear to do better next time. In fact, I will go right now and google that recipe for egg shampoo.


Are you a full-greenie? Any tips for an aspiring greenie? A LAZY, aspiring greenie? Is there an alternative to eggs for shampoo? (I'm really not that keen on my hair smelling like omelette.) And do you know of anyone selling a 2nd hand pair of ladies size 9 red patent leather Doc Martens? They are next on the list of shoes I need want.



No comments:

Post a Comment